Sunday, September 28, 2008

A good day for baseball in Wisconsin


Today the Brewers managed something they haven't done since I was two years old. They made the playoffs.

Granted, there was a time when I thought they might win the division. And then there was awhile when I thought they had the wild card spot comfortably in hand. But all in all, to end a season with a day of baseball like today is not a bad thing. Days like today remind me of why, when I manage to pay attention, I do love this game.

I'm not the world's biggest Brewers fan, but I grew up on Brewers games. I've never attended a game at Miller Park, but as a child I saw many at County Stadium. My dad must be pretty happy right now. The picture above is him on the field at County Stadium ten years ago, on a day when his friend threw the first pitch. This might eclipse that experience for him. (Actually, if I know my dad, he's already predicting a loss in the first round.)

Admittedly, I don't remember much from the 1982 World Series run. My parents do have a yellowing pennant hanging down the basement with names that are still familiar to me. Paul Molitor. Cecil Cooper. Robin Yount. Here's hoping they get to add another one with some new names. CC Sabathia, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

bbop said...

I'm glad the Brewers made it, so we can finally stop hearing about the 1982 thing. Hope they put up at least a little fight against the Phillies, though, to soften them up for the Cubs...:)