Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Five things: kitchen

It's been over half a year since my first five things post (living room) ... so I figured it was time for another one. Here are five things I like in my kitchen:


1. Wine rack. I can't remember exactly where I found it, but I know Paul and I were walking around a strange city (strange as in "neither of us lived there," not strange as in "weird") and saw it sitting out on the curb waiting for a trash pickup. I'd just realized that I was in need of a small wine rack, so I picked it up instead. Wherever this was, I had to take a plane to get home but Paul did not. So it happened that months later, during a visit to Wisconsin, after I'd all but forgotten about the wine rack, he delivered it to me. Thanks, P!


2. Le Creuset tea kettle. It's actually embarrassing how rarely I make use of it these days, but it's a nice, ornamental red. It lives on the stove.


3. Food-related wall art. I picked these three postcards up separately, not intending to put them together in any way. But at some point my new condo's kitchen needed decorating, and the theme suggested itself. I believe the three-part frame came from Target. Voila!


4. Vintage aluminum pitcher and cups. The fact that they're up on top of a shelf probably indicates how often I use these, but I love seeing them up there. I should make iced tea this summer and serve it from this set. And brew the tea in my kettle! It's all coming together.


5. Miró magnet. I bought this at a museum in Madrid, probably the Thyssen-Bornemisza. It was a museum that had some Miró paintings, some of which featured stars. Hence, the magnet. Ha ha. I can't pass the magnet on the fridge without saying the phrase out loud, always trying to perfect my accent on "las estrellas."

3 comments:

Miss Taken said...

1. That wine rack is fantastic. Well done, Paul, for delivering it home!

2. No lie, I have a red tea kettle that lives on my stove. I never use it anymore but I love it and would totally count it as one of my favorite items in my kitchen.

3. Great art. It made me (out of nowhere) want to hang up pictures that I love out of my OLD Sesame Street books. you know, from back when they used real pics of real puppets in real situations?

4. I'm jealous. You have no idea. Aluminum cups are one of my favorite childhood memories from peoples grandparent's houses.

5. I have no idea what that means.

BeeKay said...

I believe it translates to "Miró makes me see stars." Or I have been misinterpreting it this whole time...

I know exactly the Sesame Street books you're talking about, and that's a terrific idea. For a long time now I've wanted to hang up some children's book art in the "library" upstairs, and that would be perfect!

Miss Taken said...

Yes! I'm so glad you know what I'm talking about. :)