Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009 in review: Travel



Happy new year! This is the first in a series of posts looking back at stuff I did a lot in 2009. Reading, traveling ... and seeing music. So, here we go, with travel:

States (and districts of Columbia) visited (not counting layovers):  10
Indiana, Maryland, Washington D.C., Illinois, California, Nevada, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee


New States:  0
Wow, bad showing on the new states front this year.  I didn't cross a single one off the list.  Which means...  


States left before I reach 50:  (still) 7
Louisiana, Maine, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Rhode Island.  I was hoping to check Montana off in early 2010, but I don't think that's going to work out.  I still have hopes of hitting Maine sometime this year, though.  Maybe a business trip to North Dakota.  What else?  I'll have to wait and see.  Overall, though, I don't feel too badly about my failures in the new state field.  Because...


Countries visited: 5
England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, The Netherlands.  And all of them were new!  As always, my goal for 2010 is at least one more.  Maybe another new continent?

A note about travel this decade:




If you consider the decade to be "years in which the first numeral was 2 and the third numeral was 0," which most people seem to be doing, this was a huge travel decade for me.  Understandable, for me it spanned ages 20-30.  But before the year 2000, I had never been to a country outside the U.S.  Not even Canada.  Now I've visited sixteen countries on four continents: not too shabby.  Before 2000, I'd been to thirteen states.  Plenty of progress there, too, reaching forty-three.  

I don't like ranking best vacation spots or best trips; I see no need for those kinds of comparisons.  I've kept a blog since 2005, which means many of my experiences are already documented.  However, one earlier trip really deserves a mention: Moscow and Siberia, August 2001.  I will write about that sometime.  




No comments: