Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Peaches for free
Stuff from the past few days:
* Drove up to Asheville, visited the Biltmore Estate. I woke at the crack of dawn to get there when it opened, so I'd have ample time to explore before I had to be back in Greenville for work at 5:00 p.m. The house is just ridiculous, of course - 250 rooms. I really loved the grounds, too: the gardens, the winery, the farm, the trees and hills. Ahh.
* Mad kudzu in the Carolinas. Don't stand still for too long.
* Free wine tasting Sunday at the Biltmore Winery!
* There's a fancy-ass McDonalds just outside the entrance to the Biltmore grounds, but I didn't go in. I hear it has a grand piano, though.
* Some component of my room service breakfast on Sunday - either the seafood omelette, the grits, or the fresh fruit - caused me to feel progressively sicker throughout the day, culminating in my being nice and ill for my entire twelve-hour shift that night. Woo! I felt better by the time I woke up Monday afternoon, but not good enough to eat much more than an undressed salad over the next 24 hours ... so my first Carolina BBQ sandwich will have to wait.
* There are a bunch of roadside fruit and vegetable stands (many boasting hot boiled peanuts) between Greenville and Asheville. I stopped at one for a fresh peach, and they gave it to me for free. Score!
* Spent not even close to enough time in downtown Asheville after Biltmore. So much good shopping, so little time.
* The Shoeless Joe Jackson Baseball Museum and Library had its grand opening Saturday in Greenville. I didn't know about it until I read the paper on Sunday morning, or I would have gone.
* I was working or in transit for 35 of 48 hours between Sunday evening and Tuesday evening.
* I have this Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon off.
Now entering a stretch of three and a half weeks before my next scheduled trip. Time to enjoy summer in good old Wisconsin.